The Amazing Feats of Humble Plants
Rhodiola Rosea, aka Golden Root
Disguised as an innocent adaptogenic herb, agent Golden Root (his friends call him Rhodiola Rosea) it was given miraculous powers to improve energy, elevate exercise capacity, fight depression, enhance immunity and memory, and for those golden moments—increase sexual function.
Disguised as an innocuous health agent, until the mid-90s, the Soviets kept their Golden Root research undercover, confined only to the military, cosmonauts, and inhabitants of the coldest regions of the world—the Arctic zones of Eastern Siberia, mountains of Central Asia, and the highest peaks of Europe.
How Soviet Research Started It All
Even though adaptogens, like Rhodiola, date back thousands of years, modern research didn’t begin until the late 1940s. Following World War II, Soviet scientists set out to determine why Siberians lived healthy and long lives – many beyond 100 years.
Over a period of 45 years, Russian scientists and the military conducted many studies, keeping most details “hush-hush” and top-secret until the mid-1990s. This research led to the discovery of adaptogens–a phrase coined by Dr. Nicolai Lazarev.
To be an adaptogen, an herb needs to:
- Be completely non-toxic,
- Help your entire system gain balance (called homeostasis), and
- Increas the resistance of your whole body to stress rather than any specific organ.
Rhodiola is such an adaptogen, and also a key contributor to exercise performance and recovery. Recent scientific studies suggest that Rhodiola can also be effective in:
- Helping to reduce fatigue,
- Supporting overall heart vitality
- Protecting your muscles during physical exercise,
- Improving overall and general well-being,
- Increasing antioxidant levels in athletes,
- Protecting muscle tissues during exercise, and
- Improving endurance.
As with any supplement, it’s important to do your homework and find out about the manufacturer’s quality control. For example, it’s not always evident from the bottle label what constituents of the source ingredients are in the formula. And, finding details on the manufacturer could take some digging. Look for products that are like those studied in clinical trials containing 2-3% rosavin and 0.8-1% salidroside. While studies suggest that Rhodiola reduces anxiety, some people might feel a bit “revved” up from it. Taking it early in the day can avoid any interference with sleep.
The ability of Rhodiola to decrease levels of “stress–hormones” such as cortisol also leads to an additional benefit in cardiac health. Chronic stress is a known factor in all heart disease. Chronically elevated levels of cortisol and norepinephrine puts an enormous amount of stress on the heart. Reducing levels of these hormones is vital for treating one of the greatest single risk factors for heart disease — high blood pressure.
The Building Blocks
In order to help improve the overall structure and strength of adaptogens it is important to have ALL the proper nutrients bio-available. For example, if you were building your “dream–home” it would most likely not come in a pre-fab-all-in-one-concrete-container (like most multi-vitamins). With brick and mortar, it would be built from raw materials, stone by stone. So it is with the human body. Provide it with proper bio-available phytonutrients, vitamins, and minerals, AND then add Rhodiola and it will function much better. Like a custom home builder, Rhodiola’s adaptogenic abilities and proper materials (Juice Plus+) is able to build better health. Juice Plus+ is your optimal health foundation for a healthy body.
- Juice Plus+: a healthy diet includes plenty of fruit and vegetables—though not as much fruit (because of their sugar content). You can enjoy all the phytonutrients, vitamins, and minerals found in vegetables and fruits without their high sugar content. Experts now recommend MORE than seven servings of fruits and vegetables every day. That’s not easy, but Juice Plus+ makes it easier by supplementing your diet with the most important active ingredients found in whole fruits and vegetables. Fresh from the fields, Juice Plus+ provides the basis for numerous important scientific studies (click here). Juice Plus+ is non-GMO and gluten free; contains no artificial colors, flavors, or preservatives; and contains no added starch.
In conclusion, for thousands of years supplements like Rhodiola have been a part of medicine around the world to help improve health, energy, and cognition. Each individual is different, therefore the response each person has will be different. Keep track of the physical, mental and emotional progress you experience. But remember, no supplement is a substitute for a healthy diet and lifestyle.